Wednesday, August 21, 2013

An Evangelical’s Perspective on Abortion


As far as topics go, abortion is always a lightning rod. Not only do people differ on their opinions,  but people are passionate about their beliefs. People have their reasons for why they are passionate about their stance on abortion. The pro-life movement believes that everyone has the right to life, no matter how old they are. The pro-choice view seems to stem from the belief that a woman has the right to choose what to do with her own body, even if it means ending the baby’s life that is inside her body.

My purpose for this article is not to win an argument, but articulate the Evangelical pro-life perspective on abortion.  As an Evangelical, I believe the Bible is the written Word of God. The Bible is the foundation for my beliefs and morals. 

We see in the Bible that God told Jeremiah, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”(Jer. 1:5 ESV) I believe this passage is very relevant when it comes to the subject of abortion.

God declares that He formed Jeremiah in the womb. In the womb, God ordains and oversees the creation of a human life. To me, this stands against the argument of “my body, my choice.”

One of the key questions in the abortion debate is “When does life begin?”  God had plans for Jeremiah even before Jeremiah was formed in the womb, even ordaining him to be a prophet before he was born.  It is not up to us to say how long it takes after conception to become an actual person, whether in the first trimester or second. Being that God “knew” Jeremiah before he was formed, we cannot put less value on a baby in the first trimester of development than we do just before it is delivered.

As an Evangelical, I know that the Bible attributes life and its creation to God. Because of my belief in God and that His Word is truth, I believe that abortion is wrong: life itself is a gift from God. I feel blessed that God has given me life, and I believe that we should not deprive innocent unborn babies from the right to life.


No comments:

Post a Comment